We have all three seasons of Gilligan's Island on DVD. My kids love Gilligan. He's hilarious.
I spent much of my childhood watching Gilligan's Island re-runs. It totally shaped my world view.
I thought Ginger Grant was the epitome of femininity. She was so glamorous. She was beautiful. She had red hair. She had sex appeal. She also had those stabby-stabby long nails. Mary Ann did too, but Ginger's were stabbier than Mary Ann's.
I didn't know then that most guys thought Mary Ann was the hot one. They thought Ginger was a skank.
Because she totally was. I just didn't know.
Watching the show again after soooo many years, I find myself wondering:
1. In every episode, Ginger used her "sex appeal" to get the men to do whatever it was she wanted them to do, but it never worked. Why didn't she ever try something else?
2. Were Gilligan and Mary Ann stoned in every episode, or just the ones where Mary Ann made coconut cream pies?
3. How come Ginger, Mary Ann & the Howells change their clothes all the time, but Gilligan, the Skipper and the Professor always wear the same thing?
4. There are 2 kinds of episodes: one where they have a plan to get rescued, but fail; and one where they face certain doom that never materializes. Why didn't they just realize that the Professor doesn't know what the hell he was talking about?
5. How come no one is tan?
6. How come everyone is always clean-shaven -- both men and women?
7. Who hooked up with who?
8. How come the Howells don't have any kids?
9. How did Mary Ann & Ginger handle their monthlies? They always seem so spring fresh.
10. Why was the skipper still fat after eating nothing but fruit for 3 seasons? That would totally be me.