Friday, April 29, 2011

Myth. Busted.

Since I have been working out at V-Fit, which is the worlds greatest fitness studio, I have come to enjoy -- yes, enjoy -- doing push-ups. 

They make me feel strong. 

I do the modified pushups.  The ones from my knees.  I love being on my knees. 

(Insert dirty joke here).

I was told many moons ago that the modified pushups are for women.  I don't know who told me that. Someone. And I believed them.


I am a woman.

Those are my pushups.  I can do a lot of them.  Like, 50.  In a row.

Women need the modification because of the angle of our hips to our ribcage along with our unique distribution of subcutaneous fat layers and the splay of our child-bearing pelvises. 

Or so I was told.

Or so I believed.

Then my workout friends Mary L, Maria D & Laurie L all shot that myth to hell because they can all do pushups from their toes.  The kind that men do.  The kind that MILITARY men (and women) do.

But Mary, Maria & Laurie are the really strong girls.  They are the ones who do things that make me say "No. Fucking. Way. "  They are out of my league.  Right?

Once again, Gabe coaxed excellence from my mediocrity. 

Today I did 15 pushups. FROM MY TOES. 

No.  Fucking.  Way.

So whoever told me that women can't do full pushups? 

You're wrong.

8 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! I think I can do 1 like that, but then again, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is totally a joke somewhere in that knees comment.. and I will find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!!!! You have inspired me to try doing a regular pushup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh MAN....I suck at pushups. Give me situps anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Virtual high five for you, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Women can do anything men can do Mary. Way to go! You are She-Ra! My heroine. But I would have thought by now that hanging around me (virtually) would have taught you that your posession of a va-jay-jay means you can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl! I wish I'd been there to see it. I'll let you know if I ever get to one on my toes. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read comments. Seriously. I check them every day. Insecure? Maybe.