Monday, August 22, 2011

My Intervention

After a killer-owie Leadership Workout on Saturday, a couple of fellow sufferers joined me for breakfast.

We spent much of the time gloating about how well we did on our stats that morning.  Victor did a mid-challenge weigh in.  As a group we lost over 50 lbs!  That's as much as last year's group did FOR THE WHOLE CHALLENGE! 

We're a little excited about it.

Excited enough to go to breakfast.

Not excited enough to get french toast though.  My breakfast had spinach in it.  Yeah.  I still wanna win.

One of my companions complimented me on my journey.  She also gave to to me straight.

"You have to get rid of the skort". 

The other girls nodded silently in agreement. 

"But I love my skort!  I can exercise without looking as if I've peed my pants!"

"I know", she said gently.  "I know you like it.  But it doesn't look good on you.  It's time to let it go."

I wanted to scream and cry and tell her she was wrong! wrong! wrong! wrong!  There is nothing wrong with the skort!  I can put it away anytime I want to.

But in my heart, I knew she was right.

The skort was a crutch.

How can I criticise other people's unfortunate fashion choices if I am going to continue to wear the skort? 

I would be living a lie.

Thanks to my good friends Mary, Rachel & Megan, I got the courage I needed to put the skorts -- all three of them -- in the Goodwill bag.

Goodbye dear friend!  *Sniff!*

And thank you!


The skort saw me through tire tosses


Suicides.  And burpees.

70's day

I'll never forget the day we danced

7 comments:

  1. Breakfast and spinach...I'm thinking they don't go together. Unless the spinach is wrapped around pancakes.
    Then you got a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something to be said for friends who care enough about you to be completely honest and forthright.

    BTW, I could eat a spinach and feta omelet for breakfast every single day of my life!! Especially if there's also mushrooms and tomatoes in it! Oh, yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmm, omelets.....

    And yeah, the pink skort had to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your friends were right. It's time for the skort to go. Similarly, I have 4 pair of yoga pants that are past their prime, but I love them and it's going to be hard to part with them. They are my "at home" wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See? Most girls I know would be like "oh, no, keep the skort! Really! We love it! *cough cough*" I need more girl friends like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is..........it's about damn time you got rid of that pink skort. It had long since served its purpose!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read comments. Seriously. I check them every day. Insecure? Maybe.