Friday, September 24, 2010

Austin, TX . . . My Kind of Town

Hi everyone!  Miss me?  I missed you! 

I had to go to Austin for work.

I should say "I got to go to Austin for work."  Because I like Austin.

I like the people I get to see when I am in Austin.  (Hi Marta!  It was so fun seeing you!  Thanks for reading me -- you are great!!!!). 

I like the pretty trees & hills in Austin.  I like the Capital building.  I like the LBJ Library.  (Especially the Lady Bird exhibit.  I don't care what your politics are, that woman was awesome.)

One of the things I like best about Austin is their ability to make a positive experience out of a situation that some people (like me) might find horrific.

Did you know that Austin is infested with bats?

But that's not how they say it.  They say "Austin has one of the largest urban bat colonies in North America."

People line up to see the bats come out at sunset. 

They actually wait in line to see creatures that look like flying mice from a horror movie.  And shit all over the place.  Hotels have built outdoor patios, so that people can dine alfresco while flying rodents swoop around catching bugs & screeching "eeeee  eeeee  eeeee eeeee".

I think that's cool!  So cool. 

If the city of Austin can generate thousands of tourist dollars on their rodent problem  I mean opportunity, then I can make the most of being a fat girl. 

Austin, you rock!

2 comments:

  1. Next time you're in Austin we need to go to lunch Mary! I'll buy! - Darcie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE DID MISS YOU!

    I don't know what my hometown could be optimistically touristy about. Oh yeah. We do have a three-day chicken festival because there's a chicken plant down the road. That'll do.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read comments. Seriously. I check them every day. Insecure? Maybe.