Friday, October 29, 2010

One more Halloween post. . .

There has been a lot of talk on the bloggosphere about tween's costumes this year. 

Know why?  Tween slut costumes.  Read this post and this post.  I actually saw some of these for myself at the CATHOLIC School Carnival last week.  Scary! 

I don't have girls.  I don't have to worry about thigh high tights or push-up training bras.  At least not until  my boys hit puberty. . .and then I will worry for a different reason.   You know I wanna get all judgy about the moms of girls who let their daughters dress as Little Ho Peep or Slutty Red Riding Hood.  I wanna. 

Maybe I should just shuddup.

Becasue I have boys.

I worry about:

Weapons.

Bloody, gory, hurty weapons.

I have one kid who will be dressing up like Einstein.  No issues there.  One will be an Oompa Loompa.  How adorable is that going to be?????  One will be a seafaring thief/vandal/rapist/murderer -- I mean Pirate.

Pirate is a good costume, right?  Pirates are cute.   Jack Sparrow (played by my very-second-choice-for-a-husband, Johnny Depp) is downright sexy.  I know that Pirates II & III were really really sucky movies.  Johnny Depp was still dreamylishious.  Even though he looks like he'd smell.  He's still hot.  I'm getting all drooly.  Sorry. 

Why do we think pirates are cute?  Is it because they are from a bygone era?  Will kids in 2210 dress up like doe-eyed versions of Charles Manson? I shudder at the thought.

At any rate, a pirate he wants to be and a pirate he's going to be.  An adorable pirate.  With a sword.  And maybe a gun.

He wants to be a pirate because of the weapons.  I could dress him in a suit & tie and he wouldn't care as long as he got to carry the sword.  He LOVES weapons. And toy stores LOVE to sell weapons to little boys like him.

Here are some of our choices:

Be careful not to get that blood on your sister.

Because kids can't get enough of bloody chainsaws.

This looks less like a weapon and more like an instrument of torture. 

Elegant, yet effective!

My personal favorite.  This one is called "Sacrificial Dagger".  Just in case we run into any virgins. 


All sold at a Toys-R-us near you! 

So, moms of girls?

Tell Little Ho Peep to beware of Pirates. 

4 comments:

  1. Mary we've gone from me making a cute little lamb, the Itsy Bitsy Spider, Tinkerbell and Robin Hood, Little Bo Peep and Buzz Lightyear, a giraffe with Spiderman and Jesse w/Bullseye, Yoda w/Luke Skywalker and a little of kittens, to store bought storm troopers and grim reapers and vampires along with the weapons. I have a strict rule that if it's for a costume it's not out of my room until Halloween and then it can become yours and in your room. If I have to listen any sibling complain that your weapon has touched them it becomes mine. Never any inappropriate costumes and my daughter at the age of 13 thinks it's totally disgusting to wear a spaghetti strap top without another blouse/t-shirt over it =}

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to get to know the shadow-self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at Little Ho Peep! You're right, it's absolutely appalling what some people will send their children out to trick or treat in...hope you had a happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read comments. Seriously. I check them every day. Insecure? Maybe.